UNIDO has recognized the need to address the skills development barrier, identified as a major constraint by the Member States (especially developing countries) to fully engage in e-commerce. With support from other international organizations and BRICS partners; UNIDO Trade Investment and Innovation (TII) Knowledge Hub has developed the «E-Commerce: A facilitating guide for small and medium-sized enterprises (SME)» course, designed to encourage enterprises to engage and conduct their business activities through e-commerce platforms.
The training, based on 8 modules, seeks to systematically provide the participant with relevant and concise theoretical and practical information on the e-commerce sector a whole:
Module 1 provides an introduction to e-commerce and its advantages compared to traditional commerce.
Modules 2-7 provide theoretical and practical insights on the following aspects of e-commerce:
- Business models (B2B, B2C, C2C and B2G);
- Website strategies;
- Logistics (Internet basics, Supply Chain, Warehouse and Customer Management, Digital Marketing and Shipping);
- Aftersales (returns and dispute settlement);
- Quality and standards, Regulations;
- Payment Modalities (Credit Cards, Digital and Mobile Wallets);
- Digital Security.
Module 8 provides a step-by-step guide on how to use e-commerce platforms in general.
UNIDO encourages participants to connect with e-commerce platforms to enhance the performance of their business and commercial activities and reap the e-commerce benefits such as (but not limited) : Access to new markets, Increased efficiency of operations mechanisms; Development of Customer Centric Focus; Access to new technologies.
Download here the Online E-commerce Training Course Brochure
To know more about TII Knowledge Hub activities and the E-commerce
- E-commerce Forum Africa – South Africa
- Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences (SASS) – China
- South Africa Institute of International Affairs – South Africa
- Russia OECD Center – Russia
- National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) – India
- ENEXT – Brazil
- Shandong Zhiyan Group Work Win CO.,Ltd – China
Meet the beneficiaries
FICCI-UNIDO E-Commerce Training Workshop
In February 2016, the Permanent Missions of BRICS countries to UNIDO in Vienna reconfirmed their commitment to develop a joint initiative on SMEs promotion and e-commerce. Consequently, UNIDO formulated a project on e-commerce, which aimed at promoting cooperation between SMEs among BRICS countries to overcome the existing barriers hindering SMEs’ access to global markets.
In December 2018, UNIDO and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) organized a workshop with Indian SME representatives to pilot test the training course developed by UNIDO.
Main outcomes of the E-commerce Workshop:
Participants expressed positive reception of the training course developed by UNIDO. They conveyed the confidence that the FICCI would continue to play a lead role in bringing together MSMEs to participate in E-commerce training workshops and E-commerce cooperation activities in India under UNIDO framework.
1. To organize such e-commerce training workshops regularly on various aspects of doing business on online platforms.
2. To further develop the UNIDO ecommerce course (beginners) for intermediates who are already into ecommerce platforms.
3. To identify the challenges that are facedby MSMEs for coming on board to use ecommerce and provide skills development training courses for MSMEs (for beginners, moderate and advance level) to overcome them.
4. To prepare a country study on e-commerce and suggest recommendations for the consideration of the policymakers: on the simplification of custom rules, facilitating easy payment transactions online and ensure receipt of payment by MSMEs from cross border, and create level playing field for MSMEs from BRICS countries to sell products overseas.
5. To educate MSMES on the rules andregulations and markets requirements for their products to be sold cross-border through e-commerce.
6. To prepare training modules for clustersand train them how to tackle the challenges faced by their respective cluster .
To know more about the FICCI-UNIDO E-Commerce Training Workshop
Programme in a nutshell
Year of creation
Type of business
People's Republic of China (PRC)
Number of activities carried out